This two-day course is designed specifically for supervisors who direct, motivate, lead, appraise and discipline others. Topics covered include supervisory responsibility, procedures to investigate citizen or staff complaints, investigative confidentiality requirements, legal updates on specific decisions applying to public safety professionals, further explanation of search and seizure law, use of force, jail/lock-up issues, and how to mentor and coach disciplined employees. The emphasis is on practical application of:
– Understanding of liability in your “individual” and “official” capacities
– Identifying implications for supervisory liability in “failure to control” employees with a history of misbehavior
– Practical procedures (practiced in class) for investigating complaints
– Tips for applying current case law on a day-to-day basis
– Ways to coach employees back to high performance
This course is taught by Sgt. Jason Meier with the Novi Police Department and he is also an attorney licensed to practice law in Michigan. Attendees will greatly benefit from his experience in law enforcement and the legal field as they gain a better understanding of supervisory responsibilities and how to reduce liability for themselves and their agency.
The cost is $375 per person. This course is registered with MCOLES and is eligible for 302 funds.