8:30 AM - 3:45 PM Pacific
Long Beach, CA
Speaker: Sarah Baar, MA, CCC-SLP is a speech-language pathologist working in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She’s had the opportunity to work in many settings across the continuum including acute care, acute rehab, home & community, and outpatient therapy, as well as being involved in various leadership projects. In 2016, she started the Honeycomb Speech Therapy website and blog as a way to promote person-centered and functional therapy ideas for adult rehab. Those who have attended her speaking events enjoy her practical approach and tips that the everyday speech-language pathologist can implement for a functional therapy approach.
- MSCC honorarium and travel stipend
- Owner of Honeycomb Speech Therapy LLC, selling person-centered therapy materials for profit
- University and clinical instructor
- MedBridge affiliate and receive course royalties
- Aphasia Access Member
- Chapter Author in “Neurogenic Communication Disorders and the Life Participation Approach: The Social Imperative in Supporting Individuals and Families”
Facilitator: Kim Gully, MS, CCC-SLP, CCM, CBIST
- President of MSCC
- Founder & Leader of New Start Support Group for TBI Survivors
Target Audience: Medically Based Speech-language pathologists
Course Description: Person-centered care is emphasized as a best practice in general health care as well as speech-language pathology. This session makes a case for why this is important for the adult neurogenic population, and how SLPs can make simple choices in their practice to be person-centered, provide highly-meaningful, relevant therapy, and impact participation results. A functional approach will be examined for all steps of the clinical process including assessment, goal-setting, speech, language and cognitive interventions, and home program design. Each section will include evidence, rationale, case examples, and application activities for the everyday SLP to easily implement these ideas into practice.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe 3 components of a person-centered assessment that comply with best practices and set the stage for a person-centered approach in speech therapy.
- List 4 factors described by evidence that can be improved by targeting participation as an intervention in the neurological disorders population.
- List 4 Patient-Centered Outcomes (PCO’s) that can be used to measure activity/participation.
- Describe 6 evidence-based cognitive-communication interventions that can be integrated with personally relevant stimuli to meet functional therapy goals.
- Identify which therapy choices and home programs fall under a “Medical Model” approach and a “Person-Centered Care” approach.
- List 3 key components to include in a personally-relevant home program to ensure the most efficient option for meeting functional goals.
8:00 - 8:30 Continental Breakfast provided by MSCC & Registration
8:30 - 9:00 Intro to Person-Centered Care
9:00 - 10:00 Assessment Process
10:00 - 10:30 Goal-Setting: Use of evidence-based frameworks to write goal
10:30 - 10:45 BREAK
10:45 - 12:00 Evidence-based Treatments
12:00 -12:45 LUNCH BREAK - Lunch provided by MSCC
12:45 - 2:00 How to use real life activities as part of speech therapy
2:00 - 2:15 BREAK
2:15 - 3:00 Functionally-Relevant Home Programs
3:00 - 3:45 Putting It All Together, Barriers + Solutions, Q&A
In order to receive credit for this course participants must complete the following requirements:
- attend entire course
- sign in at registration table
- partial credits not allowed
- complete self-assessment/program evaluation
- must be completed within 7 days of completion of course
- certificate of completion will be awarded upon receipt
We encourage participation by all individuals. If you have a disability or other special requests (dietary, visual, hearing, physical, etc.), please indicate your request in the designated section included in registration process. We will do our best to accommodate you, please allow a minimum of 14 days notice to allow us time to process your request.
Refund requests must be submitted in writing via email. Requests made more than 10 business days prior to course date will be subject to an administration fee of $15 of the registration fee if an additional cost is associated with the course. Membership fees will not be refunded if member is not able to attend conferences that are included with annual fee. Refund requests made less than 10 business days prior to any course that requires an additional fee for the course are subject to a $25 administrative fee. This is to cover the costs associated with the course that have already been accrued based on preregistration. No refunds for non-attendance will be issued on the day of, or after, the conference.
If MSCC cancels a course that requires an additional registration fee, all members who have prepaid for the course will be refunded the registration fee in the form of the original payment within 30 business days of the cancellation of the course. MSCC membership fee will not be refunded.
Satisfaction Guarantee & Complaint Policy
MSCC’s continuing education offerings are designed to help professionals achieve improved performance and results in all areas. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the content and material presented, we encourage you to file a complaint via the process outlined on our website within 30 days of the completion of the course. Click Here for Policy
Content Disclosures The content of this course does not focus exclusively on any specific proprietary product or service. Presenter financial and non-financial disclosures may be found in the Presenter & Disclosures area above.
In Kind Support
We want to thank Long Beach Memorial Medical Center for the use of Houssels Forum for today's course. Any vendors present contribute a vendor fee in exchange for a vendor table.
Offering 6 CEs via CA PDP #74
Early Registration on or before April 30, 2023
- $75 fee in addition to current paid membership. Late registration fees apply on or after 5/1/23
- $175 for non-members. Late registration fees apply on or after 5/1/23
- Students attend at a reduced fee of $35 and are subject to late registration fees on or after 5/1/23 .
Continental Breakfast & Box lunch included in registration fee.
2801 Atlantic Ave
Long Beach , CA 90807
click here for Google Maps