1. Motion passed unanimously placing Ken Medders, Jr. as President, Kevin Miller as Vice-President, and Thomas Bainter as Secretary/Treasurer of the Economic Development Corporation board.
2. The board passed a motion to approve a government consulting services proposal for the legislative session of 2021 from Lobbyist Louie Sanchez.
3. EDC Executive Director Darla Lapeyre announced a reminder to the board to spread the word about the opened application period for the Sand Dollars for Success is open for existing businesses.
Why it matters:
2. With 14 years of experience in the Texas Capital, Louie Sanchez has also served as Chief of Staff to Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. since 2011.
The goal of hiring Sanchez as a lobbyist is to "Advocate for city issues and EDC issues," said Executive Director Lapeyre, "Primarily for the second causeway. He will work with us on other things."
3. The $25,000 Sand Dollars for Success grant program is open for startups and existing businesses. According to to southpadreislandedc.com, "This business plan competition incorporates a training component provided by the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Small Business Development Center."